Friday 8 June 2012

One thrifty step forward, three or maybe four steps back...


On the 31st May, I sent the following text:

‘Ken, I’m a fraud – I’ve not tried to be thrifty at all this week.  I’ve gone out of control. SOS!’ 

Following a month  where I ate lots, drank lots, went out lots and took taxis.. lots,  I fell off that ‘Thrifty six’ bandwagon with a massive thump. I just don’t know what has happened. It’s been one massive sunny haze of excess where all my money is now lining the pockets of others but certainly not mine and I am left dazed and very confused. I reflect back on T5 and falling off the ‘Thrifty six’ wagon doesn’t feel good. In fact, it’s pretty rubbish, almost the same as when your parents say they aren’t angry with you, just disappointed but there are no parents, just my conscience.  However, I’m 26 and mature enough to admit my mistakes and as a mature adult, I’ll be visiting Ken tomorrow and return to where it all began – Nottingham, in the hope I am enlightened once again (I hope to start the trip off positively by spending £3.95 departing from Worksop instead of Doncaster which would have cost £15.)

But I should sandwich the bad with some positive thrift tales:
 Arty times in West Yorkshire
 I have done some things which were free including my afternoon of culture in West Yorkshire!  First stop was the Hepworth gallery.  Besides holding collections of art created by Barbara Hepworth, there are plenty of other workshops and activities that seemed to be going on as we strolled through this wonderful building.  My favourite piece was the 'winged figure' We only saw the prototype and it was pretty amazing.  I think the real one is at John Lewis HQ.  Click on this link to find out more www.hepworthwakefield.org

'Winged figure'

 Following our stint at the Hepworth (armed with my free balloon) Jenny and I drove to the Yorkshire Sculpture park.  By parking on a side street outside the Yorkshire sculpture park, we avoided the £7 parking fee which we would have paid if we were there all day but this was justified as we just wanted to nip in to see the Miro exhibition which made me all nostalgic for the good times I had when I went to Barcelona, particularly when I saw the random lady legs sculpture – something I never thought would come in to my life again.  
Miro - common themes in his work include birds, constellations and...women.
Fitness
I would also like to blog about an extremely friendly and welcoming fitness company in Sheffield which was recommended by my friend Kirsty called www.fairplaysport.co.uk .  It’s mainly personal fitness training but I attend their group circuit training sessions which I am going to for £4.50 a time and it almost feels like you’re getting your own personal training session as groups are so small.  Alice (the owner) is very encouraging and supportive even when despite her patience and excellent instruction, I’m yet to master the v sit-up.   Combined with circuit training, I am gearing up for the summer by getting involved with some tennis at school (free courts!) I think you can also check out Bingham Park and Weston Park if you feel inspired enough to get your tennis on and want to do so for free.
The number of tennis balls which I have hit over the school fence :(
 Music
 In an effort to redeem my bad T5 ways, I have also been streaming music whilst I’ve been writing my blog confession and currently enjoying the delectable delights of the new Hot chip album for free.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Fmusic%2Fmusicblog%2F2012%2Fjun%2F06%2Fhot-chip-in-our-heads-stream&ei=sd_RT6_JNsaX1AWb5aSWBA&usg=AFQjCNFVhv5vKx-cpmg9MRhNqJcioU2mtQ&sig2=MXkO4-8AptV-2-zH8myhog

   Warning: This video makes me a bit sick when I watch it.
   Click and you'll find out why. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for a better T6 month. Until the next post, take care.
Peace and T6 love,
Chi x


No comments:

Post a Comment